Saturday 10 November 2012

To have a sweet tooth

The weekly food shopping done and it's time for dinner, wine and chocolate - highlight of the week.

We said to M that she could choose a bag or sweets or some chocolates in the supermarket but she said she didn't need any as she had already picked out some (i.e. dried fruit snacks). How healthy! We haven't been very strict when it comes to sweets but then she prefers olives, cucumbers and fruit...Don't get me wrong, she has sweets as well but somehow it doesn't seem as important to her as After Eight is to me. Or cheese.

I have a special relationship with After Eight. Must be something to do with childhood memories as my parents always had After Eight at their parties in the good old 70's. They used to have friends over, and I remember one of them clearly as he was a dentist, always wearing tartan trousers, and only ever allowed us (the kids) to chew sugarfree chewing gum (Sorbits, just the name...) that he brought in big tubs - meanwhile the adults were having After Eights. The next day I always foraged for that last hidden After Eight thin in the box and how lucky I felt if I did find one. If I wasn't as lucky I just had to comfort myself with the smell of the wrapping paper.

To now to be able to buy my own box of After Eight is one of those little things I get pleasure from. (It's the same story with Cadbury Fingers). And I haven't had Sorbits since. I'm also making sure history is repeated minus the Sorbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment