Wednesday 26 December 2012

To do something different

Today I did something different to what I would normally do on Boxing day, and am very happy I did; volunteering for a homelessness charity at one of the temporary centres they set up over Christmas for "rough sleepers". It wasn't without apprehension I got out of bed at 6.30 this  morning but I'm very glad I did. My husband and daughter did their fair share too as they drove me there this morning (tube strike and very little public transport running meant it would have taken me quite some time to get there otherwise). 

It's been a great experience, and I'm looking forward to my second (and last) day tomorrow. The stories I heard today have made me a more grateful, a more aware and understanding person. And also given me inspiration and faith in humanity out there, working side by side with all the other volunteers. Couldn't have asked for a better Christmas gift this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment