Wednesday 5 December 2012

To count down to Christmas


This is the first year I've prepared a "present advent calendar" and found these cute "advent calendar bags" in IKEA which I now frantically trying to fill each day. For the first five days we had finger puppets and chocolates, and have now covered the next ten days with Moshi monsters...the first one was a success so hope the following nine will be too. I don't mind spoiling our only daughter a little bit, it is Christmas after all.

Had plans to give something more practical as gifts such as a few jigsaw puzzle pieces each day, or pieces of LEGO - but she's not that much into either.  And the year my mum prepared our "present advent calendar" with jigsaw puzzle pieces went down in the family Christmas history as the worst calendar ever (sorry mum!) and we were certainly not spoilt as children.

I loved advent calendars as a child and the more glitter the better and I amassed as many as possible. The year my younger brother decided to open the flaps on all of them for me in the first week of December was traumatic but it was amazing how what a mum and a bit of tape could do. I actually think my mum was more traumatised than I when my brother told her (I was at school) that "N didn't have any clendars more..."  Now it's one of those family tales which makes me smile every time I'm reminded of it. And I'm grateful, very grateful, that life in my childhood wasn't more dramatic than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment