Monday 14 January 2013

To be a ballet girl

Tomorrow is a big day for M as she starts at the Ballet Club at school. They don't need to get changed as it's at lunch time (brilliant, no need to worry about it after school or at the weekend) but they do need a pair of "ballet shoes" and M asked me for the ones (see pic) specifically so I obeyed.

I always wanted to do ballet but there was no such thing in the village. In the nearest city we did find out there was a ballet class run by a quite strict looking Russian lady. We could come and have a look if we wanted but she said we're a bit old at 8-9 years. And old we looked indeed, and tall, and perhaps a bit chubby compared to the little pink fairies prancing around to piano music in their pink leotards and tutus...I remember feeling a bit out of place and decided that it was not for me (and especially not in my brown(!) leotard). A pink leotard and matching tutu were high up on my the wish list at the time but for some reason I never acquired any of those. Instead I went on to do Jazz ballet or Jazz dance and did that for several years, in neon and black outifits, before I discovered aerobics...

We'll see if M likes ballet. She's already attended dance/drama/singing school for a year on Saturdays, but she seemed to lose interest after a year as she ended up being the oldest in the group.
It took place at 9.30 on Saturday mornings so I think it got to both of us in the end. She's only 5 and we only want her to do activities if she enjoys it, and hope she'll find something she really likes. I played the piano from I was seven till I was twelwe and I hope she'll try an instrument too at some point. In fact, I would love to have a piano again. But I digress, better separate my own childhood dreams from my daughter's. And hope she enjoys her ballet lesson tomorrow in her very pink Hello Kitty ballet shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment