Friday 26 October 2012

To be a little bit homesick




I grew up on an island and even though I'm probably more of a city girl, I really do miss the countryside, the fresh air and my close family. Perhaps it's a part of getting a bit older, and havinga a family of my own. Needless to say my childhood differs quite a lot from our daughter's who is currently spending her childhood in London, and even more so compared to my grandmother who grew up on this farm (pictures from www.svenskfast.se). I'm still dreaming of running a little cafe and a shop here, perhaps arrange events of some sort - and now it's up for sale again. I have played the lottery, of course!

On the other hand, from the age of 15 all I wanted was to move to Stockholm, or Paris, or London (and I have lived in all three cities since); and I'm glad that our daughter gets to grow up in, let's say, in a more multicultural environment. The island has certainly got a lot of history and culture, but can't really claim it was multicultural, at least when I grew up. There are of course pros and cons to everything and everywhere; I always try to see the positive side of things - however, at the moment, looking at those pictures - the life on the island has got lots of pros....

1 comment: